Tumor Immunology Scientist/Senior Scientist
Western Oncolytics is a growing biotechnology startup company with research labs based in Pittsburgh, PA. Its products are primarily cutting-edge viral-based cancer immunotherapies. At Western Oncolytics you will have the chance to integrate within a small team, so allowing focused and ambitious individuals to learn new and important skills and advance as the company expands.
As a Scientist/Senior Scientist with responsibility in both Research and Clinical programs, you will work directly with the CSO and VP, Development and lab team members to develop and optimize immune assays to determine mechanism of action in mouse tumor models as well as human in vitro assays. This position will allow you to contribute significantly to bringing new, cutting edge immunotherapies to patients, with an outstanding cross-functional team.
- Work with the CSO, VP of Development and Director of Assay Development to plan and coordinate project timelines and deliver on development milestones accordingly, working with internal departments and external partners.
- Design and develop assays and experimental protocols to help elucidate mechanism of action and to identify possible biomarkers for our immunotherapies in pre-clinical models.
- Design and implement assays for extension of identified biomarkers and patient stratification criteria into a clinical setting.
- Contribute significantly to R&D and Assay development lab work, sometimes spanning several projects by independently designing, executing experiments with associate scientists and technicians.
- Compile, analyze, and present data on a regular basis.
- Troubleshoot and resolve any experimental issues with lead and pipeline products in a timely manner.
- Assist with new project strategy and communicate within department and cross functionally.
- Aid in tech transfer of assays to contract facilities and troubleshoot any issues.
- Understand the necessity of detailed documentation.
- Occasional travel to meet with collaborators or contractors.
Required Education & Skills
- B.S. in biology, Immunology or related biomedical science and 4+ years relevant industry experience.
- M.S. in biology, immunology or related biomedical science and 2+ years relevant industry experience.
- PhD in biology, immunology or related biomedical science with a strong interest in moving into industry.
- Excellent technical and problem-solving skills in the lab, combined with the ability to clearly communicate with team members and supervisors often.
- Ability to organize work and prioritize tasks in a highly dynamic and cross-functional work environment.
- Work with supervisor to plan budgetary needs for the upcoming year and new projects.
- Extensive experience in mouse and human immunology, with strong understanding of human in vitro immune assays
- Experience in working in a multi-disciplinary team environment
- Experience in developing pre-clinical and clinical assays for vaccine or oncolytic virus-based therapies or for other biological products.
- Detailed understanding of tumor immunology and immunotherapy landscape
- Understand assay development and quality control release and characterization assays.
- At least 2 years of biopharmaceutical industry experience is preferred.
How to apply
Send your updated resume to firstname.lastname@example.org