Process Development Scientist/Senior Scientist
Western Oncolytics is a growing biotechnology startup company with research labs based in Pittsburgh, PA. Its products are primarily cutting-edge viral-based cancer immunotherapies. At Western Oncolytics you will have the chance to integrate within a small team, so allowing focused and ambitious individuals to learn new and important skills and advance as the company expands.
As a Scientist/Senior Scientist in the Process Development Lab, you will work directly with the VP, Development and lab team members to develop and optimize scalable clinical manufacturing processes for our lead and pipeline oncolytic virus therapies. This position will allow you to contribute significantly to bringing new, cutting edge immunotherapies to patients, using novel upstream production and downstream purification methods with an outstanding cross-functional team.
- Work with the VP of Development to plan and coordinate project timelines and deliver on process development milestones accordingly, working with internal departments and external partners.
- Lead the process development lab and provide technical support to project teams.
- Contribute significantly to process development lab work, sometimes spanning several projects by independently designing, executing experiments with associate scientists and technicians.
- Compile, analyze, and present process development data on a regular basis.
- Troubleshoot and resolve any process issues with lead and pipeline products in a timely manner.
- Assist with new project strategy and communicate within department and cross functionally.
- Aid in tech transfer of optimized processes to contract manufacturing facilities and troubleshoot any issues during engineering runs and clinical trial material manufacturing.
- Understand the necessity of detailed documentation of all process development work and collaborate with the analytical and QC departments to schedule the analysis of process samples and design new methods of analysis.
- Occasional travel to contract manufacturing facilities.
Required Education & Skills
- B.S. in biology, engineering or related biomedical science and 4+ years relevant industry experience (experience in process and CMC development in the pharmaceutical industry).
- M.S. in biology, engineering or related biomedical science and 2+ years relevant industry experience (experience in process and CMC development in the pharmaceutical industry).
- PhD in biology, engineering or related biomedical science with a strong interest in moving into industry.
- Excellent technical and problem-solving skills in the lab, combined with the ability to clearly communicate with team members and supervisors often.
- Ability to organize work and prioritize tasks in a highly dynamic and cross-functional work environment.
- Work with supervisor to plan budgetary needs for the upcoming year and new projects.
- Extensive experience in cell culture and aseptic technique
- Knowledge of current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP)
- Experience in working in a multi-disciplinary team environment
- Experience in developing manufacturing processes for vaccine or oncolytic virus-based therapies or for other biological products.
- Previous experience with GMP manufacturing of clinical trial material, including contributing to and reviewing tech transfer documents with internal department
- Understanding of virus engineering and production is preferred
- Understand assay development and quality control release and characterization assays.
- At least 2 years of biopharmaceutical industry experience is preferred.
How to apply
Send your updated resume to email@example.com